Monday, October 3, 2016

I am a writer. My first piece was finished sometime around kindergarten. It was about whales––their beauty and grace. For years that was my genre. Whales. Soon, explorations of thought and word expanded into the world of food. In the fifth grade, I won First Place in a classroom award for my poem simply titled Grapes.

Grapes

I love grapes. Purple grapes, green and even light yellow.
I like round grapes with spots in jello with marshmallow.
Pink grapes are good, but I think they are not ripe.
I won't give up my grapes without a fight.
White grapes are harder and okay on cereal when sprinkled.
And when they get old they get wrinkled.
I eat grapes on break at the ice rink. 
If I could, grapes of all colors would be my favorite drink.

Okay, so I was a little girl who could see into the future. Another thing that I am certain about is that when my teacher critiqued my poem, she had consumed a glass of grapes too many . . .

When in the 10th grade, I had a creative writing teacher that told the whole class that it was a good thing that Robin Hilsinger could write because she was never going to make it out of high school. I wasn't embarrassed because it was in that moment I realized that I could do something with my writing. So I set out to prove my teacher wrong. I graduated from high school and began to write - not in that order. My latest work is my best so far and I wouldn't be a proper author if I didn't plug it along - Amazon.com at Robin Christensen Books.














No comments:

Post a Comment